After years of my own struggles with autoimmune conditions, Lyme disease, mold illness, eczema, IBS, insomnia, anxiety, depression, and amenorrhea, I often felt frustrated and lost in my best steps for healing.
1. One who actively seeks out functional ingredients
2. A person who chooses food with nutrients to support specific parts of the body or health goals
3. An individual who intentionally eats to nourish their body
4. Anyone who loves eating really good food….that is also really good for their body
Ok, so nutrient seeking is not really in the dictionary, but I believe its a REAL THING
In effort to be a greater Nutrient Seeker amidst the busy work while preparing simple meals I uncovered the power of the mighty pesto. Not only is it a platform to blend nutrient packed ingredients together, but I find it a supportive tool in any therapeutic diet to add energy and any simple meal to add flavor.
I make variations of this pesto with whatever I have on hand, swapping out ingredients and making hundreds of flavorful creations. They are also completely customizable to whatever diet you are following
Low-FODMAP: omit garlic, use green onion tops or garlic oil
Keto: use macadamia nuts or MCT oil
Autoimmune protocol: omit nuts/seeds- use greens and oil
I often use pesto’s to brighten a meal made of basic roasted vegetables and simple proteins like burger patties, meatballs, broiled salmon, or grilled chicken.
Pesto’s are also perfect as…
· dollops in soups
· flavor enhancers for a simple vinaigrette
· dips for veggies as a snack
· topping for a protein bowl
· crust for slow baked salmon
· vinaigrette or marinade for a salad or fish ( Mix a few tbsp. of pesto into olive oil and lemon juice)
· as a true pesto with vegetables noodles or spaghetti squash.
I also ALWAYS freeze at least half the batch, I like to label and freeze mine in 2-4 oz mason jars. To thaw you can pull them out the night before or you can simple place the mason jar in a mug of warm water for 20-30 minutes while getting your meal together.
This low-FODMAP/ AIP pesto is a staple in my home. Easy on the belly, but SO full of flavor.
This pesto is awesome with lamb meatballs or along side a whole roasted chicken.
Basil Walnut Pesto
Perfect for zucchini noodles or crusting salmon!